Monday, April 29, 2013

Pelican


It should come as no surprise there are many fine photographers out there.  That I rely on them to provide quality pictures of the subjects of my blog is also apparent.  I am fortunate, and I know it.  I cannot match their skill, and I’ve tried. 

The above photograph is of a White Pelican by Dr. Spencer Moore.  You should visit his website.  You will undoubtedly find many excellent photographs and a variety of subjects.

Of the two species of pelicans in North America, the White Pelican is the farther ranging.  When you go to the coast, you expect to see Browns.  Yet, be ready; a White could grace your sky or water far inland.

I am fascinated by the difference in the feeding habits of the two species.  The Brown typically dives after its prey.  It is so light, its bones so hollow that it must dive to penetrate the surface of the water in pursuit of its prey.  However, the Whites feed by herding their food and dipping their gular sacs into the water in a bobbing fashion.  It strikes me as a more genteel approach to dining.

Equally fascinating to me is the wingspan of White Pelicans.  It is huge, 8 to 9 ½ feet.  Contrast that with the wingspan of a Bald Eagle which ranges from 7 to 8 feet.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home