Sunday, August 15, 2010

Hummingbird Nest

Eighteen species of hummingbirds are found in Texas. But how often does one find a nest? Well, I have. Pictured is the nest of a Ruby Throated Hummingbird. Actually, the bird gave it away. I was taking a break from my work at my office window. While looking up I saw a female hummer flying a short back and forth pattern. It perched just to the left of the nest for a few seconds and off it went again. It was enough for me to focus on the nest.


It is just as the experts describe it to be. The nest looks like a mossy ball. It is on a small limb which descends at an angle. And it was about 25 feet up with the ground sloping away precipitously.

 
This locale for the nest explains a curious event I notice several days ago. One afternoon I noticed a Tufted Titmouse being harassed by a hummer. I had never seen this before. The titmouse was on a branch not ten feet from the nest, although I didn’t realize it at the time. The hummer was flying tight vertical circles around the much larger titmouse causing it to jump and reverse its position on the branch. After attempting to keep up with the hummer for a while, the titmouse flew away. All this I know believe was about defending the nest.


The nest, I believe, is empty now. I will continue to fill my feeders, though. Hummers and other birds are feeding like mad these days, trying to fatten up for migration. I’m not worrying about keeping any of the birds from migrating. They will go when it is time. They know.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At August 15, 2010 at 11:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so fascinating! thanks!

 
At August 15, 2010 at 12:11 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Roy,

Good spotting!

Bill R

 
At May 20, 2013 at 8:32 PM , Anonymous CenTexNest said...

Any idea what bird built this nest?

It's larger than a chicken egg, but smaller than a baseball.

 
At May 21, 2013 at 12:28 PM , Blogger Roy C. Smallwood 3rd. said...

Very interesting nest. Can you tell me m ore about it? Where it was found and when?

Great photograph.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home