Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Central Texas Hummingbirds

Adult male Ruby Throat
Photo by Karen Arquette

Migration seems to have begun. Karen was reporting that 80 to 100 hummers a day would visit her feeders this summer. Yet, recently, the numbers have dropped to around 30 or 40 a day. Flowers are still blooming. The feeders are still being filled. These jewels are tanking up for their flights south. We will enjoy them all we can.



Immature male Ruby Throat
Photo by Karen Arquette

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At March 24, 2010 at 8:02 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Spotted my first 2010 Hummingbird at a feeder last evening,abt 7 pm. I'm new to this, as of last year, and can't identify species at all. This little fellow was almost solid black. I've had my feeders out for about 2 weeks, putting just a bit of fresh food in every other day. This is the first bird I've seen at the feeders.
Karen Frank
Lipan, TX

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home